This is one recipe I’ve been wanting to share for some time but it takes enough work to make the dish. I’m never up to photographing it but this time around I tried to squeeze in some pictures. It’s a macaroni and cheese recipe that I’ve been working on for a few years now. Ever year, when I have a large enough crowd to make macaroni and cheese, I try, but it’s never that great. Mac and cheese should be great! It’s either not cheesy enough or the noodles aren’t the right texture, and I tell myself I’ll try again next time. So, after going back to the drawing board (when I didn’t have a big crowd), I decided to do some research. Guys – I finally found what is my signature macaroni and cheese recipe! It’s honestly the best macaroni and cheese recipe and it has nothing to do with me. It’s just a great mix of the correct ingredients.
Unless you have a big family, this recipe makes a large amount of macaroni and cheese, so for mid-week, I’d suggest cutting the recipe in half. However, it’s great, as is, served with big family dinners or even special occasions. It would go great with an array of meals. I personally like to eat macaroni and cheese with other hearty food like fried chicken, turkey, and barbecue. Here’s the recipe that will take some work but is worth it all.Print
Macaroni and Cheese Reipce
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tso Pepper
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 16 ounces Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 16 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 16 ounces Sharp Cheddar
- 1 pound Elbow Macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13×9 baking dish with butter.
- Grate all cheese into a large bowl.
- Melt butter in large pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour for a minute or two until all mixed with butter. Whisk in half and half and milk for approximately 8 minutes or until thick. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add half of grated cheese to flour and butter mixture. Mix until melted.
- Add cooked elbow macaroni to cheese sauce and thoroughly mix. Add half of remaining grated cheese to macaroni and mix well. Pour entire macaroni mix into greased baking dish. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese on top of macaroni dish.
- Place baking dish on top of sheet pan to prevent spillage. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The cheese on top of macaroni should be brown.
I truly enjoy cooking and always like to have these classic recipes in my back pocket. When you’re attending a large gathering, hosting family or friends for a big dinner, or just have a taste for comfort food – this macaroni and cheese recipe is a sure thing. It’s cheesy, creamy, and seriously delectable. I’ve prepared this dish several times and it’s always been great. So, be sure to pin it with the image below for when you need to make that special side dish.