Winter is a busy time. There are a lot of things to accomplish, yet the same amount of time to get it all done. When it comes to cooking, I’m always looking for ways to add convenience or even twists to traditional foods. Today, I’m sharing a new chili recipe with you that I feel does a little of both. I created some twists with a traditional recipe and looked for ways to save on time.
Chili normally features beef or turkey. What about a true Mexican twist featuring chorizo? Chorizo is a well-seasoned, Spanish sausage. If you’ve never had chorizo with eggs, in a flour tortilla, you’re missing out! Also, I picked up some WHOLLY® SIMPLY AVOCADO™ for the perfect garnish to this Mexican Chorizo and Beef Chili recipe. SIMPLY AVOCADO™ has the convenience of a fresh avocado without all the fuss. I was confident that the well-seasoned chorizo and SIMPLY AVOCADO™ would pair well with each other. I picked up SIMPLY AVOCADO™ Sea Salt and SIMPLY AVOCADO™ Garlic Herb from Walmart and got busy in the kitchen.
The key to a good chili is everything.
The chili sauce you make matters as much as what you garnish it with. A chili sauce should be thick enough but not too watery. One key ingredient that helps to thicken a chili sauce is tomato sauce. Tomato sauce thickens the sauce perfectly. You can balance out the taste and thickness with water or beef broth too. I prefer beef broth because it adds another layer of flavor. For this chili recipe, I also used corn and black beans. They were the perfect additions and twists to a traditional recipe. It may look like a lot of ingredients but this recipe is made up a few key ingredients and a lot of seasonings to bring everything together.
What you garnish your chili with matters too! This will obviously depend on your personal preferences but I like it all. Cheese, sour cream, and avocado spread are all perfect contenders. WHOLLY® Avocado’s SIMPLY AVOCADO™ is a pure, wholesome avocado dip and spread with minimal flavor enhancing ingredients. It’s the convenient substitute for fresh avocado. I was so excited to add this tasty spread to my chili garnish this time around.
A funny thing happened while I was waiting for all the flavors to come together in the chili. I picked up a few tortilla strips and snacked on the avocado dip all by itself. SIMPLY AVOCADO™ really does taste great all by itself and makes a good main ingredient. There are an unlimited amount of recipe ideas I have for this avocado spread. But tasting it all by itself was wonderful. I’ll be picking it up to snack on, while I cook, all the time. Here’s the chili recipe and cooking instructions to pull this recipe together yourself. You can serve this chili all by itself or alongside your other favorite dishes.
Mexican Chorizo & Beef Chili
- 1 tbsp of oil of choice
- 1/3 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped white onions
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 pound of ground sirloin
- 1 pound of chorizo
- 14.5 ounces of tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups of beef broth
- 8 ounces of corn
- 8 ounces can of black beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of cumin
Garnish with the following:
- WHOLLY® SIMPLY AVOCADO™ Garlic Herb
- Tortilla strips
- Shredded Cheese
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat and add onions. Cook vegetables until they wither and then add minced garlic.
- Cook ground sirloin and chorizo until brown. This will take about 15-20 minutes. Drain off grease.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth to chili sauce. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add more beef broth to reduce thickness of chili sauce.
- Add all seasonings to chili sauce.
- Add corn and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with garnish including WHOLLY® SIMPLY AVOCADO™ Garlic Herb, shredded cheese, and tortilla strips.
SIMPLY AVOCADO™ is the ultimate ingredient for anytime of day or occasion! Serve it with Mexican Chorizo & Beef Chili, as a side, or all by itself. Either way, you’ll be happy that you did.