In need of a side dish to cook for dinner? Here’s the best green beans recipe and some help on how to cook them.
You’re probably thinking so what’s special about this recipe? I know how to cook green beans! Yet, so many times I find that green beans are under-seasoned and lacking in flavor. They are a vegetable staple around here with my picky family. They aren’t as quick to cook as other vegetables but the longer you can cook them, the better they will taste. Normally, I start cooking them first so they will have plenty of time to blend with all the ingredients.
There aren’t any secrets to cooking great-tasting green beans. Just like any food, it’s really only about using the right ingredients, that compliment what you’re cooking.
For green beans, a good base adds a ton of flavor and makes them remarkable. The base I like to use consists of bacon, onions, and garlic. Bacon does tend to make everything better and green beans are no different. Once you add in onions and garlic, you’ve got a perfect base to cook green beans in.
- 2 cans or 1/2 bag of frozen green beans
- 1-2 pieces of chopped bacon
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- Season All
- Garlic Powder
How to Cook the Best Green Beans
- Place chopped bacon into a medium heat pan. Cook bacon halfway, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add diced onion to bacon and cook until they start to wilt. This will take approximately 3-4 minutes. Place garlic in pan with bacon and onion. Be sure to scrape a few bits of cooked bacon off bottom of pan and stir in with garlic. Garlic cooks super fast so you’ll only need to cook it for approximately one minute.
- Add green beans to bacon, onion, and garlic. Don’t drain off juice! It will cook off eventually. Sprinkle the beans with garlic powder and season all. Be generous, as green beans normally are under-seasoned. As long as you’re not using pure salt it would take a lot of Season All to overdo it. With the lid covered, cook the green beans on medium heat for approximately 20-25 minutes. Stir after 15 minutes to make sure the bacon and onion base is dispersed evenly.The juice will also start to evaporate.
- Serve the best green beans up for Sunday dinner or dinner tonight.
The best green beans pair nicely with turkey, beef or this roasted chicken in a dutch oven recipe. There’s isn’t much you won’t be able to pair well with these babies. If you’re not cooking green beans today, go ahead and pin this recipe for next time. Enjoy!